Thursday, May 24, 2012

wave inspire


Mizuno Wave Inspire Osaka.  That's the full name of my new running shoes.  Impressive, eh?  I think their razzle dazzle flash lives up to the name.  Of course, here I am, in my new superhero shoes, shuffling along like an old man.  But I'm totally ok with that.  At least now I know I'm not hurting my knees or hips or anything.  And eventually I'll be able to pick up the pace a bit.  Right?

Since my post the other day I went to 4 different running stores (5 if you count Nike, which we really shouldn't), and had my gait analyzed in a variety of manners: running barefoot on a treadmill, standing on a magical glass plate, squatting, standing, walking...  Most folks agreed, I am a mild pronator.   I tried on thousands of shoes (slight exaggeration), and while it was hard because I honestly don't know what a good shoe is supposed to feel like,  I eventually went with these babies.  The woman at the store said they'd be great for me just starting out, but that they would also last a super long time (a year and half she said.  That's considered a long time?!) and that they would hold up well even if I ran for 4-5 hrs.  4-5 hrs?!  I can't do anything for 4-5 hrs, except sleep.  I'm really good at that.  But running?  Well, maybe one day...

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. I've been running in the Mizuno wave rider for years now and I'm just about to re-up. I LOVE the arch support. But now I'm curious if you tried on the rider and compared them with the inspire?

    It looks like the inspire is cheaper over in states so I'm wondering if I should give them a try...?

    http://m-swann.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly am the wrong person to ask, though I'm flattered you did. This is my first real pair of running shoes ever and I was totally clueless when I was buying them. I've had them for a few weeks now and they definitely feel better than whatever random sneakers I was using before, in fact I'm kind of in love with them, but I don't have anything else to compare them to so I couldn't tell you. I'd say give them a try though, everyone in the runners' forums seems to think they're great shoes too, and they know what they're talking about it. Let me know if you do check them out...

      Delete
  3. wow. what a rich color. love it. i have never heard of this designer but then again in my hell hole of a country we are lucky to have nike :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Mizuno's are really just for running, I doubt that anyone wears them just for the fashion factor (though honestly, I love mine so much I could see wearing them every day, everywhere). I actually just read a funny quote about them from Japanese author Haruki Murakami, who likened them to "the Subaru of the shoe world".

      Delete

Say what?