Wednesday, November 28, 2012

harem revival


When I was 15 I bought some şalvar (otherwise known as harem pants or, less elegantly, drop-crotch pants) on a summer trip to Turkey.  Came back to the States super excited to rock them and was informed that MC Hammer had beaten me to it.  Needless to say, that put a damper on my sartorial plans.  Then a few years ago they were back, minus the Hammer, but it was such a frenzied fad and I had such mixed feelings about the whole thing that I couldn't really fully embrace the cultural appropriation at that time.  Then they were gone, as a trend at least.  Now it's all quieted down and they seem to have become, simply, another option.  And I'm much more inclined to pick up a pair.  The other day at Zara I grabbed these silky lovelies on my way to the dressing room on a whim and I actually thought they looked pretty great.


Here's a few more options that I think would be fabulous for the holiday season...




Would you drop your crotch?  Did you do it the first time around?  The second?  Would you consider this as an alternative silhouette in your closet?  Enquiring minds want to know...

3 comments:

  1. Love them all! Lovely entry!
    Wanna float with us? http://www.floatstardust.blogspot.com
    Loooove, Sonia & Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like velvet - nice for evening out
    http://raslinkina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Increíble como todo vuelve, eh! Anda que no llevé yo de estos hace unos años...

    Muaaa

    ReplyDelete

Say what?